BStrongBFit is an eight-week program for 5th grade girls designed to promote health and wellness through running with an emphasis on self-esteem. The program finishes with a 5k. The program boasts evidence-based lessons from the Trial of Activity for Adolescent Girls (TAAG) as well as additional lessons that focus on improving self-confidence , physical fitness and healthy behaviors. BStrongBFit's goal is to reverse the current decline in physical activity when girls reach middle school. BStrongBFit fosters school and community environments that encourage and support involvement of girls in every aspect of physical activity by:
- Developing opportunities for peers , family , School members and the community to encourage , support and facilitate girls engaging in physical activity.
- Creating and adopting programs and activities to help girls develop the physical , behavioral and communication skills necessary to choose to be active.
- Creating programs that maximize engagement in activities that build skills toward life-long physical activity.
- Helping girls to gain confidence as they become active , Strong , and physically fit.
- Helping each girl recognize how physical activity leads to a lifetime benefit of improved health by reducing the risk of high blood pressure , heart disease , stroke and type 2 diabetes.
- Helping girls recognize their own physical activity interests and abilities and how to incorporate those into every day life.